The design for this room came from the nursery decor we had in our old house, with a few updates. It was inspired by a fabric that we found at Joann’s when I was still pregnant with my first, and I liked it so much I wanted to continue it here.
First, we painted the walls this jewel tone greenish-blue.
Then it was time for the stripe.
We taped off a wide stripe in the upper third of the room, which was very tricky. Kudos to my mom for painstakingly taping a straight line in an old house where nothing is straight. (There are parts where she had to improvise so it looked straight to the eye, rather than be guided by what the level indicated was straight.)
The next step was filling in the strip with this teal color, which is where we stopped in the old house. This time, I had the idea to add yet more stripes inside the stripes. What followed was a taping nightmare that I forgot to photograph, probably because my mom and I were too busy grumbling swear words to be bothered by such trifles. After the teal wide stripe was painted, we waited a week before proceeding so that the tape wouldn’t pull up the fresh paint. Then we taped off the area for the white stripe, filled that in, and waited another week. Finally, we taped off the area for the grass green stripe (a width we mostly eyeballed) and called it a day.
It was a huge pain, it took about three weeks, and concluded with my mom telling me, “No more stripes. Ever again.” I hope the baby enjoys them, because they are here to stay.
Here’s how it turned out. I love it.