I really wanted Roman shades for this room because of the abundance of windows. Blinds would have looked meh and traditional drapery wouldn’t have made sense with this setup. I wanted an easy way to enjoy the sunshine by day and then definitively block it for bedtime so our son wouldn’t awaken us at 6 a.m. daily. (It turns out that we love our children more when they don’t jump onto our sleeping bodies at the crack of dawn. Go figure.)
I looked into purchasing Roman shades and nearly passed away when I priced them out for nine individual windows. It was ridiculously expensive. So my mom offered to make them.
She looked up instructions online and set to work. She’s a handy lady and quite the seamstress, but I think she would describe this as one of the most frustrating home improvement projects she has ever undertaken, and has vowed to never attempt a Roman shade again. (For that reason, I am not posting a how-to because she was dissatisfied with the directions she found online and ended up improvising in a way that only befits an experienced sewer.) That said, they look amazing and totally professional and she saved us a ton of money. In return, we vow to never put her in a nursing home.
Here’s the end result, in both open and closed positions.
You can also see the small fan we installed over the bed area. I needed a small-ish fixture, but this one was even teenier than I realized. I was feeling unsure about it until my son saw it and said, “Oh, I love the propeller light!” Done. Now I just pretend that was my plan all along.